Sunday, November 21, 2010

just more about food

hello.  It has been a while since my last post due to exams/ being lazy.  I will attempt to keep this post short, as my other entries have been flooded with extraneous details.
Well, The culinary club finally got approved after I met with the rutgers sanitarian and the dean of student affairs (She has been so busy that it took her a week to respond to a email...). Join if you are interested. If you have any ideas, please let me or let one of the officers know.  I am excited to get this club on a rolling start at the end of the semester.  Also, our first event is sushi night, the Thursday after thanksgiving break (dec 2).  Due to biological pathogens that may invade our food, no raw fish (including spicy tuna) will be served.  Orders go in on the coming Tuesday for this event.  So far have seaweed, bell peppers, soy paper sushi wrappers, bell peppers, immitation crabmeat, avocados, bell peppers, eel, cucumber, bell peppers, and smoked salmon as the ingredients.  Leave a comment, or contact one of the officers if you would like to have more/less of an ingredient, or if you have an idea for a different kind of cooked sushi.  Come early, or there may not be any bell pepper rolls left.  We only have 1400 rolls (if we can even make that many). Sushi line opens at 4pm at the faculty condiment bar.
Now, back to the undercover operation at the dining hall.  I have made little progress, but little progress is better than none.  It turns out that every single sauce for the chinese food section is no longer being ordered because I told them I could make two different sauces.  They must have misheard two for a hundred.  Now, I have the extra responsibility of making sure that the chinese section has enough sauces to last the week.  I don't mind the extra work to make the food better, but the other chinese ladies do.  They know that if I leave, they will be making the sauce.  Extra work = no good for chinese lady.  Everytime I go to work, there is this tension when I see a certain someone.  Surprisingly, its not AAL or whatever that other acronym is, it's chinese 1.  Chinese 1 is always pushing me around to do things so she doesn't have to do them- unfortunately for her, I am not a slave, and I do not tolerate these kinds of people.  She asked me to marinade meat for her, and of course I said yes.  I added the usual seasonings to the meat as she was standing with her hands propped at her hips, staring into space.  When I finished, I put the meat into the fridge.  She had some shrimp in front of the fridge as well, and she wanted me to put it in.  After storing the food, she scolds me to not pushing the container for marinading back to the dish room.  I figured that I was doing a favor for her already, and she has the nerve to scream at me?  At that point,  I was so pissed off at her nasty tone that I snapped, or in the chinglish dialect, I "ma"-ed her back.  I screamed at her in chinese and told her to not ask me to do crap for her again.  The other wok lady was there as well (we'll call her chinese N because she is pretty nice to me)  didn't want to get involved, so she disappeared.  I went to tell another chinese lady cutting salad that i'm pretty chill with (let's call her Taiwan C, for being taiwnese and chill), and Taiwan C told me not to worry cause Chinese 1 is causing problems for many people, and she won't last long here.  It turns out that Taiwan C started out working at the wok, but she couldn't handle it because of AAL.  I feel like as if I am unfolding everyone's story the longer I work at the dining hall.  Another piece of dining hall trivia- Nancy, the chinese ninja swiping cards in the front is 74 years old, and her husband and two daughter are doctors.  She's been swiping for forty years!
Since I already wrote quite a bit, I might as well keep going and finish what I have to say.  So much for being succinct.
I had a discussion with chef pete recently, and he has a 80% chance of being shipped to livingston commons when it opens in January.  As most students can tell, they need someone there that has experience, because they are really incapable at the moment.  I hear that Chef Pete was shipped off to brower before as well, and AAL was jumping for joy, but after only thirty minutes, chef Pete came back because he could not handle all the people there.  I hear that AAL was not happy with his return at all. Hopefully Chef pete will fair better at livingston.  He has also requested that I go there with him to help set up the new dining facility.  I really want to go work there so I have fresh brick oven pizza to eat, but it's a little out of my way.  I'll think about it when the time comes.  If I do go, it might be better off for me, but who knows what's going to happen with the chinese food.  On top chef pete leaving, I learned today that Maria may be leaving as well.  The chinese ladies were so happy to hear this because they are not really fond of chef or Maria.  (It's a shame that they are not fond of Maria because she wants workers to do extra work to make the pasta line better).  Maria told me that she might be running the brick oven, or just leaving rutgers for good.
I have said enough in one post.  Please don't forget that sushi night is Thursday, Dec 2nd, and be sure to try the promo of the night,  the bell pepper roll.

1 comment:

  1. Extra work = no good for chinese lady

    YEAH TAIWAN C.

    I liked this post a lot. The more I read, the happier I was that you didn't decide to skimp out on details.

    Hotpot made me super happy btw :D

    ReplyDelete