Monday, November 8, 2010

attitude

I went in for an extra shift this past Saturday on my quest to make the Chinese food better, and as usual, I ran into many problems.  Great, I can marinade the beef to make it tender, but to make cheap cuts edible, baking soda has to be added to tenderize the beef.  No probs, we have good tasting cheap meat right?  Well, it turns out that too much baking soda is not so good for your health.  I will be discussing this situation at work tomorrow with the chef.  Another thing I noticed was that so many people didn't care about what they were doing at all.  When I go in for work, the Chinese ladies at the wok are happy because I take work off their back, one of the ladies (we'll call her Chinese 1) basically treats me like a servant.  Chinese 1 said she has worked in the restaurant for so many years, and she can make hundreds of different sauces, but does she make any for the students?  There really is no point in telling people that you are highly skilled if you are not willing to use the skill. She came a year ago, and with her attitude, I won't be surprised if she gets laid off or fired.  Chinese 1 is always telling me to do things so she doesn't have to do it, but when I try to tell her to make it better for the students by changing one little thing, she doesn't want to hear it.  Chinese 1 just tells me, "we don't do it like that.  If you want to, you can do it that way."   It's pretty sad that she got hired with that kind of motivation.  Chinese 1 and I actually had a pretty intense argument in chinese (idk how i survived raising my voice in mandarin lol) and when we finished, the lady working the omelette line, along with all the other students stared at us with blank faces.
 I was talking to chef Brian, the other head chef, for a while when I was working and he said they tried to train people to do things differently, but they only do it when the chef is looking.  Afterwards, the workers went back to their old ways, therefore we still get crappy food.
The people running the wok claim they are so busy, but they actually are not.  They make it look like they are busy.  They are also afraid to improve the food because it would make them busier if they sold too much.  I despise people with attitudes like this.  No matter what job you do, you should do your best.  I don't care if you're scrubbing toilets or cooking pasta.  If you don't want to try your hardest, then just don't work.
Who knows, I may just go back to cutting broccoli for the pasta line.  Maria is a genuinely nice person, unlike AAL and her crew.  Sushi night is now planned for Thurs, Dec 2 (no one could get their paperwork in on time, and some of them are still dragging their feet -_-).  Also, I can't wait to get my (assistant) chef jacket with my name on it!  I'm sick of wearing red Rutgers dining shirts.  Hopefully I can make more progress this week.

2 comments:

  1. My dad...says I can't work unless I have a 4.0 gpa and he wants proof of it =____= SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will probably work once, and this is before grades come out.

    ReplyDelete