Thursday, November 4, 2010

Infiltration Step 2: Complete

So I must've been so excited to go work today because I woke up at 8:10 without and alarm clock and couldn't go back to sleep.  I drag myself to the dining hall and arrive at 8:45.  I wanted to get to the dining hall earlier so I could beat AAL to the stove and fix the marinated meat.  FAIL.The moment I walk in, all the meat is already cooked.  I didn't want to start off the day in a bad direction so i avoided AAL.  I go and start prepping sauces.  I made 60 gallons of sweet and sour- the real stuff at the real chinese restaurants, and 50 gallons spicy garlic sauce- the stuff that goes on general tsos chicken and other sorts of americanized chinese food.  The flavor was mad good (thank goodness, because I didn't really know how it would come out).  . Anyways, I start prepping for fried rice.  Chopped ham and scallions for some time and as I was using the machine to chop up the ham, I stuck my hand in the machine too and it ground up some of my hand as well.  jk hehe.  Then i went to the wok station.  There was an unusually high amount of tension because I was there, along with chef pete, but we managed.  We tested the sweet and sour on chicken nuggets, leftovers from takeout.  The sauce was good, but as usual, the chicken wasn't.  I talked to AAL, and she said she calls the wok station a "sanitation department" because all the leftover steak, beef, chicken nuggets, and the leftover food on students plates go to her station.
As it came to opening time, one of the ladies were mad nasty, telling me to leave them alone.  I smiled at her-- then walked away lolzz.   AAL calmed down today because she saw that there was no choice but to deal with me.  I got her boss behind my back, and whatever he says, goes.  I started making my fried rice, and it was an improvement from the usual fried rice, but the rice needs to be changed, and there nothing I can do about that because chinese rice is too expensive.  Other people told me to back off too because they were afraid that the wok ladies would scold me, but I just told them I don't care if they scold or hit me.  They forgot to consider my bro past.  When I was a kid, I was the ghetto bro on the block.  Hell, I never listened to my rents, and now i'm immune to ppl screaming at me because of them.  No matter how loud y'all holla at me, i aint hearing nothin-  it's one of my own brodaptations.  All them women were ignorin me when I did them some stir fry, but I kept making my fried rice like a chill bro.
After working the wok for a while, I went back and started peeling onions, and after that moment, idk what happened, but everyone just calmed down.  AAL was not as angry, and the wok ladies started to be a bit kinder.  I went back to cook, and made some tofu, beef stir fry, and more fried rice.  Then, one of the ladies approached me, and we started talking.  We started off with why i'm here and all this other crap.  A few mins later, we got to the meat of the conversation.  Why is the food so bad?   
Its not that the ppl there cant cook.  They have tons more restaurant exp. than I do (more like 27 and 18 years experience).  She told me this is not a restaurant, and that thousands of students come in to eat everyday.  If they made raw chicken to order, no food would ever get out to the students.  I sort of understand their situation, but i'm nowhere near giving up.  I told them to add more marinade (nvm, I just added more seasoning to the meat marinade myself...who cares what they think).  
I talked to other ppl running the wok, and they all told me their story, and their opinion.  They also said that if I told them anything they said to chef pete (especially the fact that they have so much experience, and all the other rebellious crap), they would get fired and would have to live in my house cause they won't have any money.  I don't think I would mind that thou, I always wanted a private chef :).
So, now that I have infiltrated the wok station, it is time to being phase three- reform.  I will try to make new sauces, and teach them not to overcook the meat and vegetables.  Hopefully they will listen since they are sort of chill with me being there now (yo, they are smart to be chill with me.  I'm like and extra bro cooking the food, and taking some of the work off their backs.  It just took them time to get it), but who knows, they could be just as moody as AAL.  I hope to see more improvement as the weeks progress.
(Just letting you know, that the leftover food on plates really goes to pigs, not students lol)

2 comments:

  1. your a blogger?! i would have never guessed---maybe i should start one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broness is spreadingggg
    Come cook in douglass! Or tell me the next time you're in charge of a particular station so I can give you credit for how the food tastes xD

    ReplyDelete