Saturday, October 30, 2010

shedding blood for the team



Remember when I said that you will either learn to use the knife or cut your finger off? Well, i'm on my way to cutting my finger off, that is, if the thumb is a finger.  I was trimming the usual broccoli on thurs and the paring knife slipped and went straight into my thumb on the same hand-  Pretty depressing seeing that I have been cooking for such a long time. 
So, having infiltrated dining services a few weeks ago, I am still scouting out the situation and making progress progressively.  I have seen that the attitude of some of the workers is great, and some just don't give a crap. In my quest to improve the sushi, I was halted by the stacks of paperwork handed to me for my minions to fill out.  This delay in completing the paperwrk had delayed sushi night to either nov 11 or dec 4.  I did however persuade them to order more things for sushi- 200 avocados, soy paper, and fish roe (masago)- along with the usual eel, smoked salmon, and crabmeat. 
Due to the delay in project sushi night, I am beginning my adventure into the wok station- responsible for all the greasy, disgusting tasting stir frys.  I already mentioned not using chicken nuggets to  the chef, but apparently those are leftovers from takeout.  oh well, at least they don't waste.  I happened to wander into the pantry, and there seemed to be many authentic asian ingredients.  I guess the angry old chinese women just don't know how to use it.  After mapping out the general situation, I am going in for extra hours this weekend to make a few sauces, and maybe make a Singapore style rice noodle and fried rice for the chef.  Hopefully we can adopt these recipes soon. 
Also found out that a chinese restaurant chef is working in the dining hall, but he is in the dish room.......

No comments:

Post a Comment